Friday, September 14, 2007

The little things

So every time someone needs to access the internet at my hotel, I walk them down to the computer room. On the short walk down the hall I explain to them the price for printing, that they can come to me with any questions, etc.

Just now this complete tool came by and I told him how much we charge for printing. He said, "You guys are RAPING me." I ignored him completely and just kept talking.

We got to the door and I was in the middle of saying, "The first computer on your left is ready to go online." I got as far as, "The first-" and he pulled the door. It's locked. I had the key card in my hand and refrained from explaining to him that I'm walking him down there specifically to unlock the door. He dropped his arm to his side. I continued, 'The first comp-" and he pulled the door again. I stopped talking and looked at him out of the corner of my eye like maybe he was some sort of imbecile who needed help putting his pants on the right way every morning. He looked back at me like I was giving him some sort of quiz full of trick questions. I reached across him and held the key card up to the reader to unlock the door, but it was pretty hard to keep from laughing right in his face.

Oh, yes, it's one of those days when the little things are everything. Real coffee from Dunkin Donuts, a $5 tip from some jackass customer two hours ago, being able to watch the WGN news in the break room this morning - these are the things that are making this extended weekend the finest kind that it can be.

1 comment:

Pigasus said...

The public library I work in has 50 internet-connected computers for adult use. Working the desk for those machines is the library equivalent being the piss boy. They get the most problems out of the worst patrons.

After reading the internet desk's incident reports week after week, I would rather eat hot death than work the internet desk.