Friday, October 12, 2007

Acorn Squash

Or, It Turns Out My Oven is Possessed by the Ghost of Julia Childs's Jealous Sister, Melba Childs, Who Could Never Get Her Creme to Properly Brulee, and is Taking Her Sister's Taunts of "Mebla Can't Toast" Out on My Fucking Oven

I got an oven thermometer because obviously, given the nut bread fiasco, the knob on the oven doesn't really know what goes on in my oven.

So I set it for 425. Took about 45 minutes to get there. I put the damn squash in, 15 minutes later, the oven was at 510. I'm going to just throw some pictures up here because I know you're smart enough to figure out how this went down, and I'm pretty excited about the lemon bars that I still want to post before I get to bed.









I wasn't at all surprised to discover that the squash wasn't cooked all the way through and the brown sugar hadn't quite dissolved. It was way too sweet. It was okay, though. I guess. Maybe I just can't take sugar like I used to. Maybe that's what being 30 and feeling 45 means. I love acorn squash, though, so I'll try a different recipe in the future. Also, I had to quadruple the stuffing mix (walnuts, raisins, brown sugar, butter) to get enough to fill all four squash halves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got a super quick fix for the acorn squash.

Cut it in half like you did in the pics and scrap out the seeds.

Put the halves, cut side down on a plate and add 1/4-3/4 cup of water (or about as much as the plate will hold).

Microwave the squash about 10-12 min.

Take the squash out of the microwave, turn cut side up. (Be careful because they are now hotter than fuck)

In the squash center add:

1 tsp butter
2 tsp maple syrup
pinch of salt/pepper
Pinch of nutmeg

Pop in the broiler or hot oven to brown (5-10 min, max)

Really yummy and quick.

I don't like brown sugar, either. Too sweet and no extra flavor.

Look around for a carnival or a sweet dumpling squash. They are FANTASTIC.


Meg