Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday's Feast



(Play along with Friday's Feasts here.)


Appetizer
How many times per day do you usually laugh?

Depends on the day. I laugh more at work than anywhere else. My job sucks, don't get me wrong, but I can chat online all day with Scottie and Rachel, and sling witty banter back and forth with Ed & Tasha. Sometimes I make myself laugh, like with that poem I wrote yesterday. That made me giggle.

If I'm low on laughs, though, I'll go watch this.


Soup
What do your sunglasses look like?

They look like whatever $2 will buy at the gas station when I'm in a really bad mood. I only buy them when the sun is in my eyes and giving me a headache, and I hate spending money on them because I always lose them.


Salad
You win a free trip to anywhere on your continent, but you have to travel by train. Where do you go?

South! It's -4 here right now. Of course if I'm going to go south on the train, it's better to do that in the spring or summer when everything is in bloom.


Main Course
Name one thing you consider a great quality about living in your town/city.

Just one? Holy shit. I like that we're the Second City. Nobody pays us any attention, and we can just do what we want. But we're not the third or tenth or 50th city. I've never been to NYC, but I've been to other cities and none of them holds a candle to Chicago. They're all tiny little things with depressing streets and morose citizens. The skylines aren't impressive and the sight-seeing is nothing at all to brag about. Chicago's not so big that every asshole on the planet is coming in to fuck it up, and it's not so small that I'm left dreaming about someplace big like NYC. I love it. It's home.


Dessert
If the sky could be another color, what color do you think would look best?

Another color? Oh no, no, that wouldn't do. All the colors that the sky takes on in a day - the early morning gray that greets the glorious, golden dawn. The technicolor dusk that grabs every warm color you could dream of and flings it out across the heavens, giving us one last magnificent light show before the horizon greedily gobbles orange flames and purple waves from the clouds and leaves us with a proud, stoic, dreamy blue that oozes into the sultry, slippery night.

And all of this is wrapped around the ordinary blue daytime sky. The kind of blue that when you stop and look - really look - you're reminded of what it's like to feel hope and wonder, what it's like to feel infinite.

What other colors are there? Green, I suppose. I hear that right before a tornado the sky turns green. You can keep that for your sky, I like to keep my green on the ground to lay on and climb in, where I can sit back, relax, and watch the sunset.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I didn't explore the site, I answered the questions:

1. Out loud? Rarely. To myself, prolly once an hour.
2. They look like sunglasses, but I don’t know where they are.
3. Montreal.
4. My wife and kids live with me and there’s beer in the garage.
5. Light purple or periwinkle, but not at night.

Did I get them right?